Commonly Broken Traffic Laws and Road Rules

How good of a driver are you really – are you really familiar with all of the traffic laws and road rules?

The Queensland Police Service have revealed that a driver refresher test shows that many of us either do not know the rules, or simply are not following them correctly. Here are some of the most commonly broken road rules on Queensland roads:

Can you do a U-turn at traffic lights?

No, you are not able to perform a U-turn you can only preform a U-turn at a traffic light if there is an authorised sign stating ‘U-turn Permitted’. It can cause both frustration and danger to other drivers if someone unexpectedly completed a U-turn at a controlled intersection.

Do you need to indicate on a roundabout?

If you will be turning left or right or going the entire way around the roundabout, you need to indicate while on the roundabout. You do not need to indicate if you are going straight ahead on a roundabout; however, you must always indicate left to exit the roundabout.

Do you always need to give way to pedestrians?

Yes. Regardless of whether there are traffic lights or not, a driver must always give way to a pedestrian that is already crossing the road they are turning onto.

Can you use a hands-free mobile device while driving?

You are not allowed to use hands-free if you are a learner driver or P1 licence holder. A hands-free mobile device can only be used by P2 and open licence holders. No driver is allowed to hold or use their mobile handset while driving, regardless of whether you are touching it to play music, answer a call or take a Snap, it is illegal and causes driver distraction.

For more information on QLD’s phone laws, you can download our PDF eBook that delves deeper into the matter. Visit our homepage to download the guide.

Do other drivers have to give way to a merging car?

If you are crossing a dotted line from one lane to another, you need to give way to the traffic already in the lane you are merging into. The only exception to this is when two lanes of traffic merge into one and there is no line crossed, the driver ahead has right of way.

Do you have to stop on an amber traffic light?

If you are approaching traffic lights showing amber and you have not yet entered the intersection, you need to stop, so long as you can do so safely. You may be penalised for continuing to drive through an amber traffic light if the police catch you.

Can you drive in any lane on a multilane road or highway?

If you are travelling more than 80km/h, you are not permitted to use the right hand lane unless you are overtaking the vehicle/s in front of you, turning right or intending to make a U-turn. Similarly, you can be penalised for overtaking vehicles from the left hand lane.

More information traffic laws and road rules

These questions and road rules might seem simple, but Queensland Police say they are amongst the most misunderstood road rules and are commonly broken – either by drivers who are reluctant to follow the rules, or may not know the correct rules. Queensland motorists need to take more care and responsibility for their driving. This starts with knowing the road rules and traffic laws.

Table of Contents

Don’t Stop Here

More To Explore

Special Hardship Order Application

What is a Special Hardship Order? According to Section 106 of Section Part 14 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Regulation Queensland: A person with a suspended open or provisional licence is eligible to apply for a special hardship order if the application is made for the same class of licence which was held by

In Queensland, can the police speed?

The offence of speeding The laws relating to most Queensland traffic offences are found in the Transport Operations (Road Use) Management Act (“the Act”). However, the speeding laws are found in s.20 Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Road Rules) Regulations (“the Regulations”). That section states: A driver must not drive at a speed over the speed limit applying to the driver for

Restricted Licence – Queensland

Restricted Licence What is a restricted licence? In Queensland, if you have been charged with a drink driving or drug driving offence, and have lost your licence, you may be eligible to apply for a restricted licence (also known as a ‘work licence’). It is not something you are automatically given just because you need